C.A.L.E.A. is an acronym for the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA®) was created in 1979 as a credentialing authority through the joint efforts of law enforcement's major executive associations:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP);
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE);
- National Sheriffs' Association (NSA); and the
- Police Executive Research Forum (PERF).
The purpose of CALEA’s Accreditation Programs is to improve the delivery of public safety services, primarily by: maintaining a body of standards developed by public safety practitioners, covering a wide range of up-to-date public safety initiatives; establishing and administering an accreditation process; and recognizing professional excellence.
Specifically, CALEA’s goals are to:
- Strengthen crime prevention and control capabilities;
- Formalize essential management procedures;
- Establish fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices;
- Improve service delivery;
- Solidify inter-agency cooperation and coordination; and
- Increase community and staff confidence in the agency.
The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office successfully completed the inspection process and was recommended for accreditation by the C.A.L.E.A. inspectors in March 2005. C.A.L.E.A. Accreditation is an ongoing process that requires re-inspection by C.A.L.E.A. Assessors every four years. During those years, audits and inspections are continually handled to ensure the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office maintains its prestigious status of being accredited. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office received its most recent re-accreditation in March 2021.
As the Sheriff's Office prepares for another round of C.A.L.E.A. accreditation, your thoughts, opinions, and feedback on our agency are needed. If you have something you think is important for evaluators to know, please click here: https://cimrs2.calea.org/464 and leave your comments.
As always, we appreciate your time and look forward to receiving accreditation again in 2023.
For more information on C.A.L.E.A., go to their website www.calea.org